Sunday, July 7, 2013

Nonsense Temptation

_________________________________________________
6 Jul 2013, 7:06 PM:

Today has been very good. I have had no temptation worth worrying about. It does pop into my mind, but that can easily be ignored and overcome. I started off the day with service: helping clean the church building. After doing service, you are very much not interested in doing selfish things. After the service, I was able to hang out with Stephanie for a movie and lunch. We then practiced some juggling and balancing tricks.

Time went on with me playing some computer games and watching some TV constantly texting Stephanie about them as we usually do. But then, Stephanie entered into one of her "attitude issues" as she calls them. I've seen this before. In myself.

I just now texted her the following: "When I was in high school, I learned something about myself. Every once in a while, when I was getting on the right track, I would have these situations where I would get totally agitated about everything around me. I would hate the world for no reason and not want to do anything. I was not bad, just had bad thoughts. Then I realized I was preoccupied with them so much they became stupid thoughts. I would hate a rock simply for sitting on the sidewalk.

"I realized one day that these episodes were not feelings of depression or anxiety at all. They were false thoughts put into my mind by the devil.

"They were out there to make me give up caring about anything and commit sin instead.

"Immediately, once I would recognize them, I would tell my tempter to go away. . .

"He always disappeared immediately and the rogue thoughts and feelings were gone too.

"It builds up over a period of days. You don't notice it come on.

"By then, you are so caught up in it, you forget yourself and then forget God.

"It's Satan's favorite trick to grab me.

"The trick is to recognize the stupid nonsensical thoughts. When you start hating leaves because they are green and chairs because they have four legs, then you know you are experiencing something like what I get."

_________________________________________________

No comments: